The first national school in Caherline was opened in 1838, opposite the Church, and consisted of one small room and minimal furniture. The school was staffed initally by one man, and later by two teachers, and, twenty years later, three teachers. The building closed in 1901 when the second school in Caherline was opened at a total cost of £776, including the furniture. The present school cost £120,000 to build and was opened in 1986 by the then Minister for Industry and Commerce, Michael J Noonan and blessed by Bishop Dermot Clifford and Archdeacon Brian Snow. There was one additional classroom built in 2008 and 2 new S.E.N. Classrooms in 2009. This building was further extended in the summer of 2013 with the addition of two classrooms.
The Old School before the restoration.
The Old School was reconstructed in 1993
School concerts were regularly held in the Old School.